Availability: OUT OF STOCK, AVAILABLE TO ORDER
- ISBN 9780564049233
- Pub Date 01/01/2014
Words for when there are no words......
Words for when there are no words
As individuals and communities across the country reflect on the First World War during its centenary, Bible Society is marking this anniversary with an illustrated collection of psalms, poems and personal stories to aid reflection about the War. Adaptable to different circumstances, Hear My Cry also contains hymns and prayers and will be suitable for religious and civic ceremonies as well as for individual, personal use.
The majority of the personal stories are drawn from original research among families whose ancestors fought or died in the War. Many of the soldiers' Bibles have survived, some with dramatic evidence of the part they played.
Sister Wendy Beckett provides a commentary on paintings by Pieter Bruegel and John Nash, and the moving words of poets such as Wilfred Owen, Eleanor Farjeon and Siegfried Sassoon are represented alongside other voices from the war years.
Hear My Cry also features a Foreword written by General the Lord Dannatt, Chief of the General Staff 2006-2009.
• selection of over 40 Psalms interspersed with poetry, personal stories from the war, archive photos and pictures, prayers and hymns
• commentaries by Sister Wendy Beckett on paintings by Pieter Bruegel and John Nash
• useful for religious and civic ceremonies and for people to take away
• a tool for personal reflection that is adaptable to different circumstances, individual and corporate
• an edition small enough to pocket yet detailed enough to engage.
Format Paperback, 128 pages
Publisher Bible Society